From a tree falling on your house to water pouring through your ceiling, roof emergencies need immediate attention and repair from professional roofing companies. Learn what counts as an emergency, how you should respond and what an expert roofing contractor can do to help make your home secure again.
What Is a Roof Emergency Repair?
An emergency roof repair is necessary when you and your home are exposed to risks due to roof damage. Risks include:
- Exposure to the elements.
- Water damage.
- Structural collapse.
- Anything that puts you and your family in danger.
Problems with your roof that do not put you, your loved ones or your house at risk of immediate danger or damage are not emergencies but should still be addressed by a professional when you notice them.
Types of Roof Damage Needing Emergency Repairs
Roofs experience various types of damage throughout their life spans, but only a few events require emergency repairs. These incidents include:
- Storm damage: High winds, lightning strikes, excessive downpours and other storm elements can damage your roof by ripping off shingles, puncturing roofing materials and denting roof structures. Extreme weather conditions can leave your roof exposed to the elements, leading to water damage, decreased structural integrity and risks to your family and possessions.
- Fire or extreme heat exposure: While many roofing materials are designed not to ignite or feed fires, they can still be damaged by fire or heat. Shingles may withstand a fire incident, but your underlayment, decking and roof trusses may be significantly damaged by fire, increasing the potential for more damage later.
- Fallen trees: Trees or large branches that fall onto your roof can significantly affect your house’s structural integrity. Trees can also rip large holes into your roof or puncture shingles, requiring quick repairs to prevent exposure to the elements and water leaks.
- Mold: Excessive mold, mildew or rotting roofing materials need emergency attention to ensure the health and safety of you and your family. Mold growth can also affect your home’s structure, increasing the risk of widespread damage.
- Water leaks: Leaks requiring emergency repairs are usually in dangerous locations, such as near your fuse box. Other emergency leaks include ones that let a high volume of water into your home.
5 Steps to Follow When You Need Emergency Roof Repairs
If you discover a major water leak or experience damage from a severe storm, remain calm and focus on protecting yourself and your family. Follow these five steps after an emergency to ensure the greatest protection and smoothest roof repair or replacement process.
1. Analyze Damage Safely
The first thing to do when you realize your roof has been damaged is to assess the safety of your home for you and your family. Decide if you need to evacuate or if you can still live in the house for the time being.
Inspect your roof from the ground, taking notes of the type of damage or debris you can see. Never climb onto your roof after it’s been damaged, and do not attempt to perform any repairs yourself. Going onto your roof or trying to fix things on your own puts your health and safety at risk. It could cause more damage to your house.
2. Call Your Local Professional Roofing Company
After assessing the damage from a safe distance, contact a professional roofing company — they can give your home a closer evaluation and provide a quote for their services. They can determine the best course of action for your future repairs or replacements. A quality roofing contractor will have:
- Several good reviews.
- A solid reputation in the area.
- Proper insurance.
If you experience roof damage after a storm, watch out for unqualified roofing companies that come into town to charge high prices for low-quality work. Choose a roofing contractor who is well-established and committed to the safety and stability of your roof and home.
3. Protect Your Home From Further Damage
Your roofing company should be able to provide a temporary patch or tarp to cover any punctures or holes on your roof until they can perform a thorough repair or replacement. You can further protect your home and possessions by:
- Moving belongings to safe locations.
- Running a dehumidifier.
- Covering areas under holes with tarps or plastic.
- Using buckets to collect water.
- Mopping up water to prevent more damage.
4. Contact Your Insurance Company
If you plan to file a claim for the damage your roof has experienced, contact your insurance company immediately. An insurance adjuster may come to your home to inspect the damage themselves.
Find a roofing contractor with experience working with insurance claims and who can help you complete the process. Ask them to document the damage so you can give proof to your insurance provider.
5. Prepare for Your Roof Replacement
If you need to wait for your insurance company or roofing contractor before going ahead with your roof repair or replacement, you’ll want to prepare for the meantime. A few things you may need to consider include:
- Preparing living arrangements.
- Relocating valuable possessions.
- Removing decorations and furniture from affected areas.
- Tracking expenses related to roof damage.
What Do Emergency Roofers Do?
When you work with an emergency roofing company like RoofAid USA, you can trust our professionals to care for you and your home. Our expert emergency roofers will:
- Evaluate the damage: We look at your roof to determine what damage has occurred, how severe it is and what it will take to fix it. Our team will search for sources of leaks and consider if the roof needs replacement or repairs.
- Perform a temporary fix: Depending on the size and severity of the damage your roof has experienced, we will provide a temporary patch or tarp. This fix is meant to be short-term, enabling you to stay in your home until we can come back to thoroughly repair or replace your roof.
- Give you an estimate: After evaluating your roof, our experts will give you an estimate on the cost to fix or replace it. We can also work with you to get the information you need to file an insurance claim.
- Schedule a repair or replacement: Our team will work with you and your insurance company to schedule your roof repair or replacement. If your roof seems to deteriorate in the meantime, contact us so we can ensure you get the timely repairs you need.
Contact RoofAid USA for Emergency Leaking Roof Repair Services in Your Area
When you need an emergency roof repair, our team is here to help. We have the experience, licensing and insurance to perform high-quality repairs and replacements so you can enjoy the safety and comfort of your home. Contact us today for professional emergency roof services.